When I set up my QEMU virtual machine system I made a couple of mistakes. As I was running on a host that had very limited resources I made the virtual machines as small as I possibly could and that has come back to bite me at bit. The two problems I seem to constantly suffer from are running out space on the boot partition and, on one machine, running out of inodes.Continue reading
I hate to think how many computers I’ve built and installed over the years. I’ve found that there are a core set of utilities that I keep coming back to that I’ve found really useful on most installs. As I only use some of them infrequently I thought I’d put together a list so that in future I don’t forget any, perhaps this list will be useful for you as well.Continue reading
In this article I discuss cPanel addon domain management and what you need to do to prevent your website being accessible by multiple different domain names when you run more than one site using cPanel (known as add-on domains). You don’t want a site to be accessible by multiple different domain names as you’ll suffer a duplicate content penalty in search engine listings. Continue reading
I’m not normally one to complain about Windows, there’s more than enough people doing more than enough complaining about it that I don’t feel the need to add my own frustrations but the start menu made something snap inside me just now and I had to let those frustrations see the light of day.
The project I’m working on at the moment requires me to achieve the fastest updates I can into a moderate sized SQL Server database table. My initial attempts were adequate for the testing I was doing on my development machine but when I came to do a more thorough test in a production like environment I found that the method I was employing wasn’t even close to fast enough. At that point I seriously considered just giving up, the difference between what I had and what I needed didn’t look like an “I’ll give it a tweak” type problem it was a vast performance gulf that had to be crossed. The solution was to better understand both my application and SQL Server and here’s what I did.Continue reading
I generally develop any Java applications I’m working on in NetBeans and while I prefer to use GlassFish as a container I find myself using Tomcat quite a bit. Unfortunately the debugging connection between NetBeans and Tomcat can sometimes be less than perfect.Continue reading
When I installed my Ubuntu Linux virtual machines I just let the installer do whatever it felt was right in terms of disk partitioning. In hindsight that was probably a mistake because it gave me a separate 256Mb boot partition. While this partition is large enough to store several kernels I do find myself running out of space about twice a year if I keep the servers up to date.
I wouldn’t normally stick my head above the parapet and write a post like this but DRM on ebooks really annoys me as it impacts my enjoyment of the books I’ve bought. I personally find the default option of black text on a white background a little difficult to read especially if there isn’t a lot of ambient light. Most e-readers have an inverse option which is an improvement but can still be difficult. My e-reader of choice is Moon+ reader which has an orange text on black background option which I find easy to read even for extended periods. The problem is you can’t read DRM encumbered books in Moon+ (or any other third party software reader that I can think of). The other problem with DRM encumbered ebooks is what happens if the company you bought them from goes bust? You can no longer download them to your new device, effectively they are lost. This nearly happened to me but fortunately I had a DRM free version I could use.
I just read this article over on betanews (not I site I’d ever seen before) stating that Linux was dead on the desktop because of Windows 10.Continue reading
For as long as I can remember I’ve been hitting a bug when I start one of my web applications under GlassFish. The error message is about an ArrayIndexOutOfBounds exception and is related to Pinyin. I’ve looked for a solution a few times but never found an answer that worked. It seems to be one of those issues that a lot of people think they have found a solution for but none of them work. As far as I could tell the problem was not fatal to the application so I gave up looking but it has always worried me a little.