The project I’m working on at the moment requires me to achieve the fastest updates I can into a moderate sized SQL Server database table. My initial attempts were adequate for the testing I was doing on my development machine but when I came to do a more thorough test in a production like environment I found that the method I was employing wasn’t even close to fast enough. At that point I seriously considered just giving up, the difference between what I had and what I needed didn’t look like an “I’ll give it a tweak” type problem it was a vast performance gulf that had to be crossed. The solution was to better understand both my application and SQL Server and here’s what I did.Continue reading
I generally develop any Java applications I’m working on in NetBeans and while I prefer to use GlassFish as a container I find myself using Tomcat quite a bit. Unfortunately the debugging connection between NetBeans and Tomcat can sometimes be less than perfect.Continue reading
For as long as I can remember I’ve been hitting a bug when I start one of my web applications under GlassFish. The error message is about an ArrayIndexOutOfBounds exception and is related to Pinyin. I’ve looked for a solution a few times but never found an answer that worked. It seems to be one of those issues that a lot of people think they have found a solution for but none of them work. As far as I could tell the problem was not fatal to the application so I gave up looking but it has always worried me a little.
I recently failed to inject a managed bean into another bean that I was writing and for the life of me I couldn’t see what I’d done wrong. As is often the case it’s the little things that trip us up and in this case I was so used to doing it I couldn’t see the mistake. The exception message I was getting was:
Property foo for managed bean fooConverter does not exist. Check that appropriate getter and/or setter methods exist.
I f, like me, you are getting an error message along the lines of “UIInstructions cannot be cast to org.primefaces.model.menu.MenuElement” you are in luck because here’s the answer.Continue reading
Now that JavaEE 7 is out of the starting blocks and running free I thought I’d have a first look. I decided that as I’ve not had a look at the JavaEE tutorial for a while I’d work my way through it as both a refresher and to find out about the new API’s available. So far so good but there’s a couple of areas that could perhaps do with a little polish.Continue reading
I hit this issue with the PrimeFaces p:fileUpload component this morning and it had me going for about an hour until I figured out what was wrong. A good googling shows that more than a few people have hit this problem but no one had reported a solution, there was even a bug report closed as can’t reproduce.Continue reading
Just when I think that I’ve got everything working I hit another issue. This time it’s with Subversion. I’m trying to create a new job so I select Subversion under the SCM section and enter the appropriate URL. Hudson tells me that I need to enter credentials so I click the link which takes me to the credentials page where I enter my username and password.Continue reading
I’ve run more Tomcat services than I care to think about and I reckon I’ve probably seen just about every different way they can fail now. The failure mode I describe here seems to catch me out every time though so I thought I’d write it up so everyone can benefit from my pain.Continue reading
I recently set up a new system running most of the software my business produces. Unlike our other sites right from the beginning all of Java servers (a mixture of Tomcat and GlassFish) will be access via Apache using Apache Tomcat Connector mod_jk. Typically we start of will one server and add Apache in later but this is a service move so it makes sense to start with Apache in place.Continue reading