Fastest Updates in SQL Server

The project I’m working on at the moment requires me to achieve the fastest updates I can into a moderate sized SQL Server database table. My initial attempts were adequate for the testing I was doing on my development machine but when I came to do a more thorough test in a production like environment I found that the method I was employing wasn’t even close to fast enough. At that point I seriously considered just giving up, the difference between what I had and what I needed didn’t look like an “I’ll give it a tweak” type problem it was a vast performance gulf that had to be crossed. The solution was to better understand both my application and SQL Server and here’s what I did.Continue reading

Joomla and PageSpeed

A while back I installed the PageSpeed module for Apache in an effort to improve my sites performance. How much of an affect it has is debatable but the site scores more highly on the Google PageSpeed score which is a good thing since now it won’t suffer a listing penalty for being slow.Continue reading

Improving Joomla Performance

I recently tested this site using this online website performance tool: Web Page Test and I thought I’d share some of the results and what I did to improve them. You can also try YSlow however this will generally give you a result that is across a LAN rather than a DSL type connection and I’ve noticed it won’t load JavaScript images – the front page of this site has an image rotator which I know is very heavy but it was completely missed by YSlow.Continue reading