I’ve just started learning Spring / Spring Boot so I’m at that stage where I’m making all the stupid beginner mistakes. In the past I used to catalogue the problems I hit, especially when learning a new technology. A few people told me they found it really useful so I’ve decided to start again. This particular issue I ran up against didn’t take long to figure out but the message on the exception isn’t as clear as it could be so I thought it was worth documenting.
The project I’m working on at the moment requires me to achieve the fastest updates I can into a moderate sized SQL Server database table. My initial attempts were adequate for the testing I was doing on my development machine but when I came to do a more thorough test in a production like environment I found that the method I was employing wasn’t even close to fast enough. At that point I seriously considered just giving up, the difference between what I had and what I needed didn’t look like an “I’ll give it a tweak” type problem it was a vast performance gulf that had to be crossed. The solution was to better understand both my application and SQL Server and here’s what I did.Continue reading
I generally develop any Java applications I’m working on in NetBeans and while I prefer to use GlassFish as a container I find myself using Tomcat quite a bit. Unfortunately the debugging connection between NetBeans and Tomcat can sometimes be less than perfect.Continue reading
For as long as I can remember I’ve been hitting a bug when I start one of my web applications under GlassFish. The error message is about an ArrayIndexOutOfBounds exception and is related to Pinyin. I’ve looked for a solution a few times but never found an answer that worked. It seems to be one of those issues that a lot of people think they have found a solution for but none of them work. As far as I could tell the problem was not fatal to the application so I gave up looking but it has always worried me a little.
I’ve been setting up a Jenkins CI server for the last few days and I’m getting to the last few steps where I work out all the wrinkles and make everything play nicely together. The issue I’m fighting with at the moment I’m going to call SonarQube analysis SVN blame failure for the want of a better description.Continue reading
Configuring SonarQube with Jenkins while running Maven builds sounds like it should be a breeze but, I at least, found myself scratching my head wondering how to make it work. I’d got SonarQube installed and running and I had Artifactory installed and ready to go. Jenkins was running builds fine but getting SonarQube with Jenkins working was proving a little more difficult.Continue reading
SonarQube (previously just Sonar) is an open source code quality tool. In this short series of articles I’ll be installing and configuring SonarQube on Ubuntu 14.04. Installing SonarQube on Ubuntu is just part of a wider continuous integration (CI) server build that I’ve been performing. Previous articles include installing Artifactory and Java 8.Continue reading
I thought migrating from Nexus to Artifactory would be a seriously painful process but it actually turned out to be quite simple. My biggest concern was maintaining my release history as it would be impractical to try and move hundreds artefacts by hand. The article below describes the process I used.Continue reading
Getting Java 8 on Ubuntu 14.04 is a topic that is very hotly debated (1, 2, 3, etc, etc) but it looks like this important piece of software won’t officially make it into Ubuntu 14.04 in any time frame that is useful – I’m writing this May 2015, OpenJDK 8 was released March 2014 and it doesn’t look any closer to being included now than it did then.Continue reading