Fixing the MikroTik Router After an Upgrade

I recently upgraded from RouterOS V5.13 to V5.16. The interface is a bit nice to look at (especially in the web configuration tool) and there is now a quick setup window in WinBox. The only downside of the upgrade is that all of a sudden my Internet connection stopped working.

I fairly quickly figured out that the problem was to do with the default route which was marked as unreachable. What I couldn’t figure out was why it was unreachable. Your default route should look something like this. The fuzzed out section is the gateway IP address that your ISP will have given you (it’s mainly fuzzed out so you will have to look up the correct IP for your system).

default-route

Notice that it says that this gateway is reachable (because I just fixed it) if it says unreachable you’ll need to check that the gateway interface is correctly configured.

In an effort to better understand what was going on I ran two commands at a new terminal that provide address and routing information. The commands and output are shown below.

ip address print detail
Flags: X - disabled, I - invalid, D - dynamic 
 0   ;;; default configuration
     address=192.168.1.1/24 network=192.168.1.0 interface=bridge-local 
     actual-interface=bridge-local 

 1   address=78.105.121.126/21 network=78.105.120.0 interface=Be Gateway 
     actual-interface=Be Gateway 


ip route print detail
Flags: X - disabled, A - active, D - dynamic, 
C - connect, S - static, r - rip, b - bgp, o - ospf, m - mme, 
B - blackhole, U - unreachable, P - prohibit 
 0 A S  dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 gateway=78.105.120.1 
        gateway-status=78.105.120.1 reachable via  Be Gateway distance=1 scope=30 
        target-scope=10 

 1 ADC  dst-address=78.105.120.0/21 pref-src=78.105.121.126 gateway=Be Gateway 
        gateway-status=Be Gateway reachable distance=0 scope=10 

 2 ADC  dst-address=192.168.1.0/24 pref-src=192.168.1.1 gateway=bridge-local 
        gateway-status=bridge-local reachable distance=0 scope=10 

What I discovered was that the address entry numbered 1 was missing. During the upgrade the Be Gateway interface had been deconfigured. I opened the Address List window (IP > Addresses) and reconfigured the Be Gateway with the public IP address my ISP gave me.

I also noticed that the internal address range was now assigned to just the wlan1 interface when in actual fact it should have been assigned to the bridge-local interface (so that all ports can use the address range).

port-bridge-settings

All in all I wish I’d not bothered upgrading, I want the hour of my life I spent searching for this back please!

Oh yes, this all started because the wireless settings also changed. The wireless protocol changed from any to “nv2 nsteme 802.11”. I don’t know what that protocol means but I do know that none of the wireless devices I have will even detect the network if it is selected. Switching it to any or 802.11 makes everything start working again.

wireless-settings

Posted in MikroTik and tagged , , .

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.