I had to read a lot before I could get to the point where I felt I could write a script that installed OpenStack for me. The links below are a selection of articles that I found useful. This is the complete list of things I read as I didn’t start compiling the list before I had finished the first script but it’s a good start. Obviously you should head on over to the OpenStack documentation page for the most up to date official documentation. Unlike a lot of projects OpenStack have got it right when it comes to documentation and I’m sure that if I had come at this project with a better understanding of networking it would have been a fairly simple installation.
I got my inspiration to write the WobblyStack scripts from reading though Kord Cambell’s scripts over on StackGeek. They are an excellent series of scripts and I performed a couple of test installs with them before writing my own. The main downside I saw with them was they don’t use Neutron networking.
Scott Lowe has a blog all about virtualization, cloud computing and related interests. There are a number of really useful articles on networking, for example:
- Namespaces, VLANs, Open vSwitch, and GRE Tunnels
- Libvirt-OVS Integration Revisited
- Using GRE Tunnels with Open vSwitch
- Using VLANs with OVS and libvirt
- VLANs with Open vSwitch Fake Bridges
No list of pages would be complete without these from Fosskb:
- OpenStack IceHouse on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and 12.04 LTS – Single machine setup
- Managing Openstack Internal/Data/External network in one interface
- L3 connectivity using neutron-l3-agent – well worth reading
- L2 connectivity in OpenStack using OpenvSwitch mechanism driver – well worth reading
- A bite of virtual linux networking
This series of articles about Installing OpenStack Essex (2012.1) on Ubuntu 12.04 (“Precise Pangolin”) was of some use. I think they may have inspired Kord Cambells scripts.
Another script for installing OpenStack this time in Python.
And finally there’s general reading:
- Guide to IP Layer Network Administration with Linux
- Bridging Network Connections
- Network Configuration
- Open vSwitch Manpages
- Open-Source Routing and Network Simulation
- IPROUTE2 Utility Suite Howto
- Linux Advanced Routing & Traffic Control HOWTO
- Regular Expressions
- Sed – An Introduction and Tutorial by Bruce Barnett
- Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide
- BASH Programming – Introduction HOW-TO
- Bash Guide for Beginners